A small bug fix was posted today to align chart data labels with there data points. Previously, these labels were improperly aligned on the first 4 and last 4 data points.
Posts Tagged ‘reports’
Today, the report page was refreshed to add a 6 month page view chart and add the RSS feed info to the conversion/promotion chart. Two bugs were also fixed on the report page. The first prevented the window overlay box from showing the citizens who responded to conversion pages. The second prevented RSS feeds from showing up properly in the 6 month RSS feed view.
You can now track RSS feeds (one for now) and see a weekly total of the number of posts over the past 6 months. The purpose is to give you the ability to see if spikes in conversions or promotion activity on your site is related to the number of blog posts, events, press releases, etc. running for that week. This gives you insight into the latest trends and helps you discover new ways to improve your marketing tactics.
RSS feeds can be added through the settings page. It can take a couple of hours before your feed is archived so it may take some time before the results show on your report page.
I’m excited to announce that Phase 1 of our report functionality is now available. With any reporting option there is a huge amount of data and complexity that can be displayed. Our goal was to keep the reporting function as simple as possible. One of the most frustrating things with web analytics applications is that they gather so much information that you have no idea where to begin when you look at the data. With this in mind, we created a very simple first pass at a reporting page that will deliver the kind of statistics you need to make quick business decisions.
The second level of data is click-through data for each promotion in your account. You can see, per week, which promotions are receiving the highest level of activity allowing you to quickly assess what promotions should be removed or redesigned to improve the response rates.
All of this information has been combined into one chart at the top of the report page so you can quickly spot the peaks and see how each page or promotion is tracking over time. Additional report functionality will be added over the next couple of weeks.
Right now, the next phase is scheduled to include RSS tracking. This will allow you to track blog posts, event data, or any other RSS related activity to see if the spikes in conversions and promotion activity match with the spikes in the events and content publishing activities that you’re doing on a weekly basis. The reporting page will remain fluid for now. Nothing is written in stone so please provide your feedback. It’s the only way to ensure that we can deliver the best report functionality that you need.
Web Analytics is the one thing that all web marketers do and it continues to be the least understood. Every corporate site uses some form of Web Analytics software. Whether it’s Google Analytics, WebTrends, WebSideStory, or some other package, companies spend thousands of dollars a year on these applications. The problem is that these packages record too much information with too little time to respond. When we do respond, it’s to make small changes designed to appeal to the masses that have already been to your site and that if we’ve even interpretted the data correctly.
If we’ve learned anything in the ClueTrain era it’s that mass anything no longer works. Just look at mass advertising, mass email, and mass mailings. These marketing techniques require that you hit as many people as you can because you’re only going to reach about 3% to 5% of them. Well what about the other 95%. Shouldn’t we at least try to appeal to them? Well we can.
To appeal to the other 95% on the web, we need to be able to customize and target our content directly to them. We need to learn about our visitors as they use our sites and we need to respond to their needs in real-time, not weeks and months later when we have time to analyze our reports. We don’t have the time. Many people will only visit our sites once to decide if they want to do business with us. These lost opportunities will never come back.
We’re now well into the Web 2.0 era but our web analytics software has done little to catch up. It’s now time to look for ways to communicate as close to a 1 on 1 basis as possible. I’ve been formulating these ideas for some time now and have begun integrating them in the Marketing for Mavens web application. It focuses on communicating with each of your visitors and I welcome you to try the free beta and let us know what you think.